Hey, do you want to create mobile apps using python? If yes, then in this article you will get insights about which library you should use for developing mobile apps using python.
Why Python for Android Apps?
Python is a popular language due to its simple programming syntax and fewer lines of code, and if someone can make mobile apps in fewer lines of code. So what is better than this?
Python Libraries for Android Apps:-
So today, we will learn about the two popular Python libraries for creating mobile apps.
Kivy is an open-source python library that was released on 1 Feb 2011. Kivy is used to createGUI (Graphical User Interface) that can run on Android and iOS. It provides a facility to write code once and deploy it to multiple platforms.
Kivy is a Cross-Platform tool kit with UI elements like buttons, text labels, text input, and more. However, kivy does not use native widgets, so android apps created using kivy would not feel like native Android.
Advantages of Kivy:-
- We can write code once and deploy it on a different platform.
- Kivy is open-source.
- It is easy to use and create mobile apps.
Disadvantage of Kivy:-
- It is not suitable for creating a complex application.
- It provides a non-native UI app.
BeeWare is Python open-source library that provides a facility to write code once and deploy it on multiple platforms. It allows us to deploy on Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Web, and tvOS.
BeeWare is a collection of libraries and tools that work together to create cross-platform native GUI Python applications. It uses tools:-
- Toga – It is a cross-platform UI tool kit.
- Briefcase – It is generally used for package projects for Mac, Windows, Android, etc.
- Rubicon Java – It is generally used as a bridge between Java and Python.
- Rubicon ObjC – It is generally used as a bridge between Objective-C and Python.
Advantage of BeeWare:-
- It also provides a facility to write code once and deploy it on different platforms.
- It is also open-source.
- Provide fully native user experience on all platforms.
Disadvantages of BeeWare:-
- Less documentation support because it is still in the development phase.
- Not suitable for creating complex applications.
Which is Better Kivy or BeeWare?
The answer to this question is not easy because both frameworks provide a cross-platform facility and, both frameworks have a lot of potentials. However, it depends upon your requirements.
If you want a native UI-like feel then you can go with BeeWare, and if you don’t need native UI (like in-game native UI feature is not much important) so you can go with kivy.
In my opinion, you have to explore both frameworks to learn more and better understanding. What is your opinion about these frameworks? You can comment below and let us know!
Check out Music Player in Python using Kivy.